Here’s why you need a Realtor® when you build. You are thinking of building a home in Airdrie. Did you know that our team often represents buyers? Do you know why?
Did you know that many Builders will pay Realtor® commissions so you don’t have to? This is a great opportunity for a Buyer and at no cost to them!
Read below to understand the value a great Airdrie Realtor® brings to the build process:
1. Pricing! We can help you negotiate a great price. We also understand the values in your community and will ensure you’re not overpaying or over-building.
2. We have an expert understanding of resale value. Knowing whether the road will be busy in the future, whether the backyard will get any sun, or whether the garage size is adequate for the community, are all things that can help you to build a home that will not only serve your needs; but will also offer you a great return on your investment.
3. We are a great asset for the final walk-through. We have a keen eye for deficiencies and can point out what’s acceptable and what’s so it’s not all left to you and your experience.
4. We can help you with the contract jargon. Default, Binding Agreement, Apportionment of Price, no biggie. We can also question terms that aren’t clear to us to ensure you know what you’re signing.
5. We have built homes before. Having built a home personally and been through the process, we know some of the things to expect. We also know some common mistakes that get made (an open office, no bonus room, north backyard, etc.)!
6. We understand floor plans. We can look through them and see where some issues might arise. Maybe the stairs could be wider, perhaps the kid’s room is too small. We can help!
7. We are working for you and only you. We aren’t employed by the Builder which means that we are free to act entirely in your best interest. There is NO conflict. A Builder’s representative works for the Builder. This doesn’t mean that they are bad people, in fact, there are some amazing builder representatives out there and we know them well! But the truth is, they cannot advocate in the same way a Realtor® can.
Did you also know that great Builders encourage Realtors® to be a part of the process?
Here is a funny quirk in the process that a lot of people don’t realize: If you walk into a Showhome unaccompanied (without your Airdrie Realtor®), some Builders will construe this to mean that you are not working with a Realtor® and they will then be unwilling to allow the Realtor® to be a part of the process (or pay us any commission which puts us in a tricky spot).
This is incredibly frustrating for our industry because Buyers like to window shop (don’t we all?) and often like to do so on a whim! This doesn’t mean they don’t want expert advice when they’re ready to act though.For this reason, a good rule of thumb is to call your Realtor® to let them know if you are planning to visit a showhome. From there, they can either plan to meet you or they can call ahead to the Builder to find out their protocol.
Here is what a great Builder’s representative helps us with: knowledge of the floor plans, an understanding of the custom options that are available, some excellent ideas for adjusting floor plans, an understanding of the inventory, and putting together an offer that complies with the Builder’s requirements, to name a few. In short, they are an amazing asset and a huge, necessary part of the process! Working in tandem with a Realtor® and a great Builder representative is absolutely the best possible outcome for a Buyer looking to get the most value out of the process.
We have worked with some excellent builders in Airdrie & surrounding areas already this year and we can truly say, they offer an exceptional product. They also welcome Realtors®. These include Broadview Homes, Genesis Homes, and McKee Homes.
If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out!
Natalie & Lindsay
Your local Airdrie Realtors®